Friday, July 3, 2009

Use of Simple Past

Simple Past is used for actions and situations in the past.

  • Facts and situations in the past

    Expresses a fact or given situation in the past.

    Beispiele:

    Our secretary worked very hard.
    I did not agree with you.

  • Actions in the past

    Actions in the past that took place never, once, several times or regualary. (see also: signal words)

    Examples:

    Mister Brown never attended any meeting. He always sent me.

  • Actions taking place one after another

    Actions in the past that took place one after the other.

    Examples:

    Mister Sanders came into the office, checked his mailbox and went straight to the briefing.
    What a horrible day: first my computer crashed, then our best customer cancelled their order and on my way home my car broke down.

  • Actions taking place in the middle of another action

    (Sudden) action that took place in the middle of another action. (see also: Past Progressive)

    Examples:

    I was sitting in a meeting, when my mobile suddenly rang.
    When I came in, John was playing solitaire.

Signal Words of Simple Past

yesterday, 2 minutes ago, in 1990, the other day, last Friday, If Clause Type II (If I talked, …)

No comments:

Post a Comment